All college or high school students are occasionally tasked with writing assignment and most find it to be a daunting task. In this article, I will guide you on how to write a perfect assignment that can get you good grades. There are tricks and methods that you can use in writing a perfect assignment.
Assignment writing can be time-consuming especially when you have several teachers or lectures giving you homework on different subjects. If you cannot manage writing all assignments maybe you should consider hiring a professional writer who can complete the homework for you.
You may be wondering the reason why the teacher keeps bombarding you with assignments every weekend until you have no free time. It is good to note the importance of assignment writing.
Importance of writing assignments
Assignments are meant to enhance learning at home when students are not in school. I have managed to list and explain some advantages of doing assignments.
1. Enhances knowledge about certain topics
Through assignments, students do research on the topics in order to answer the questions. The research helps in the development of cognitive skills because students are exposed to a lot of information new to them.
2. Assignments help in developing student writing skills
Assignments can be grouped in academic writing category. They are normally given in the form of writing essay, term paper, etc on certain topics. These forms of writing help students to develop writing skills that are important. Students with good writing skills perform well in the exams.
3. Enhances student analytical skills
Assignments give students the chance to experiment on new ideas they have when answering the questions. Analytical skills are very important because they help us understand and be able to solve various problems in life.
4. Improve research traits
Through the use of assignments, students have the opportunity to do research on different topics. Doing research is a very engaging activity that broadens student knowledge and helps them in critical thinking.
5. Use of real-life examples improves learning
Students can relate real-life examples with the topic they have been given. Students are able to discover new learning ways every time they are required to write an assignment.
Types of assignments
During the course of the study, students are tasked with writing various types of assignments. We have managed to identify the common types and explained them below.
- Research essays-This is a form of writing on a certain topic or issue. The research essay answers a certain question and the writer can argue his/her points using facts. A typical essay comprises of three main parts i.e. introduction, body, and conclusion.
- Reports– Writing a report normally involves the presentation of an investigation or an issue and further recommending actions to be taken. Reports can be categorized into many different types like business reports, scientific reports, etc.
- Case study-Is a detailed investigation done over a certain length of time. Normally case studies are useful when collecting and presenting information that is detailed about a certain person, situation or group of people.
- Article review-The The main purpose of a writing article review is evaluating data in the article, results or research methods.
- Literature review-This is a type of assignment that focuses on identifying all the key areas in literature, understanding current thinking and finding the gap in the research.
Above are the common types of assignments teachers request students to complete. It is now time to learn some assignment writing tips.
How to write an assignment
If you want to write a perfect assignment below are important steps of assignment writing that can be helpful.
Step 1: Understand the topic
Before you can begin writing assignments, it is always very important to read and understand the topic or question. Some students normally fail because they skim-read the question without noting important keywords.
Keywords are used to direct the student to the required information. For example, you can be asked to “Discuss the use of pathos and ethos in rhetoric writing”.Take the following steps in analyzing the question.
- Underline the question or bold it e.g. discuss, examine, etc.
- After every paragraph refers to the question you are discussing.
- Rewriting the question helps in understanding the information, you require adding.
Step 2: Do research and plan
Doing the research and planning will give you the assignment format that you should follow when you begin writing. Planning helps in understanding what you will be working toward to achieve.
Look at the following when planning assignment content format
- Assignment length-Determine how long the assignment should be in terms of words and their aspects. For example, an assignment can require you to draw diagrams.
- What are the key points that you need to include-Every essay paragraph should be unique and pitching on a certain key point.
- What the assignment format-Different tutors will require you to format your assignment using various types of formatting methods like APA, MLA, etc.
Step 3: Create an assignment structure
A structure can also be an assignment outline. A basic assignment structure comprises of the following three main parts:
An introduction is a small paragraph in the assignment headings that explains in a few words what you are going to talk about. This part introduces yourself to the audience what you are going to discuss and the purpose of the writing.
The main body of an essay is where the writer discusses the arguments. This is where the writer can evaluate different theories and explain his/her recommendations. Mostly, the tutors tend to analyze and see if you are able to make decisions appropriately. Using research make sure you support your claims. Let every paragraph discuss only one idea.
The conclusion is the closing remarks of your assignment. It is normally a summary of what you have already discussed therefore it is recommendable never to introduce a new topic or idea when writing a conclusion.
Step 4: Check for plagiarism
It is a requirement that every student should submit assignments that are plagiarism-free. If you have used different resource materials from the internet, make sure you add references. You can check for plagiarism using checking software like Turn tin.
Step 5: Proofread and edit
Proofreading and editing can help you in getting good grades in your assignment. In order to be thorough when checking for errors, give yourself a break after writing. Then come back fresh to check for errors.
When proofreading and editing, check the following:
- Check for spelling and grammatical errors.
- Ensure your assignment structure is correct.
- Read your assignment to check if your assignment answers its objectives.
- Check to ensure the assignment is readable and the word count is correct.
Writing a perfect assignment does not require you to perform any miracle other than following the assignment structure and format when writing. If you are not able to complete your assignment, you can hire Speedy writer’s professional essay writing service.